Most us of have heard of GameBoy and a large percentage of us will have played on them when we were younger. It is now possible to play Gameboy games on our iOS devices by downloading an emulator called GBA4iOS. Created by Riley Testut, GBA4iOS was originally built from scratch for iOS and it makes use of a large number of tools that are available in the iOS SDK, taking game emulation beyond anything we have ever seen before. There are several factors that play a part in the success of GBA4iOS, not least speed and simplicity but power is by far the biggest one.
Image : GBA4iOS Download Tutorial
GBA4iOS is able to emulate GBA games and GB/GBC games as well. Version 2.0 contains a large number of features, all of which have been requested by users, including iPad optimization, Cheats, Dropbox sync, Airplay and a great deal more besides. It hasn’t always been plain sailing, though; after the huge success of the first version, Apple stepped in and closed down the distribution method, forcing users to revert to using the age-old “date-trick” method. However, the developer didn’t let this stop him, rather he saw it as a challenge and has come back with v2.0. Following several months of work and a closed beta testing period, GB4iOS v2.0 was finally released in 2014 and has now been downloaded over 10 million times. It is and looks to remain one of the most popular emulators on the market today.
GB4iOS Features :
- Support for wireless linking
- Brand new skins for GBA and GBC
- An updated icon logo
- Full support for both iPad and iPhone
- Support for GBC and GB games
- Regular software updates
- An in-app browser
- Support for Dropbox
- Cheat codes
- Different Save states
- Controller vibration mode
- A Sustain button
- Support for Airplay
- Event distribution
- Custom controller skins
- Support for URL Schemes
- Support for iOS 7 external controllers
- Fast forward
- And a great deal more besides
How to Download GBA4iOS :
Method 1 : EMu4iOS App
Unfortunately, you can’t just go to iTunes and download GBA4iOS; you have to download another app first called Emu4iOS. The steps below will walk you through this process, followed by a video to help make things clearer for you.
- First Download EMU4iOS using the guidelines in the linked article
- When you have successfully downloaded Emu4iOS onto your iOS device, you can go into it and search GBA4iOS.
- In the results page open the page named GBA4iOS and tap in this [ Get ] link from your device.
- Follow onscreen instructions and download GBA4iOS
Method 2 : GBA4iOS IPA File
This method will sideload GBA4iOS using Cydia Impactor. Before you begin, you need to make sure that you have the most up to date version of iTunes – you don’t need to use it but it must be a current version. To check:
- Open iTunes on your computer
- Click Help > Check for updates
- iTunes will check if there are any new updates; if there are , full instructions to update will be given on the screen
Once you have done that, you can follow these steps:
- Boot up your computer; making sure you pick the version for your specific operating system, download Cydia Impactor [ext link]
- Next, you must download the IPA [ file] for GBA4iOS
- Plug your iPhone or iPad into your computer, making sure you use the right cable
- Launch Cydia Impactor on your computer
- Click Menu and then click your specific device
- Now you can open the IPA file that you downloaded and drag it into the open Cydia Impactor window
- You will be asked to sign in with your Apple credentials , do so. If you do not have an Apple ID, sign up for a free one. If you do have one and you don’t want to use it for this, sign up for a second account just for using with Cydia Impactor
- Click on OK
- A warning will pop up, telling you about certificates that have expired , just click OK
- Leave Cydia Impactor to do its work – it will digitally sign the app certificate so you can use it
- When it has done this, the GBA4iOS icon should be on your homepage.
- Before you can use GBA4iOS, you need to trust the certificate so open Settings > General > Profile and Device Management
- Find the GBA4iOS certificate, tap it and then tap on Trust
- Close Settings and tap the GBA4iOS icon to start using it
Tell us what you think of the GBA Emulator ? Will you use it to play your old favorites ? Follow us on Facebook for more tips and tutorials like this one for instant updates.